Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Randomosity No.1

After four hours of sleep for the last several nights, I am sitting at my desk in the EFM office, listening to the birds chirp in the trees as the sun spills over my hands happily typing away... oh wait, no, that's the grinding sound of the roofers on Hesse, and, my bad, the fluorescent light from the O'Brien lab basking its glow on this cold, foggy morning. I guess I'm a little confused. I'm not the young whippersnapper I used to be, and four hours will not quite do it (oh, how I long for the days of undergrad... one of the Top Ten Reasons I Came to Harvey Mudd College was "sleep deprivation is fun and easy"(number 3? 5? Mudders, some help here?)).
So... why?
This morning was uber eventful...
Amanda got in last night at 12:15am at the Downtown Berkeley BART station. After a reheated slice of Cheeseboard Pizza (henceforth referred to as 'chzbrd'), which had gotten very cold in the five hours the poor girl had to wait in Denver before finally getting here, a re-design of my blog bkgd and another hour of talking, we decided to go for the 4.5-hr sleep cycle, (our bodies sleep in 90-min chunks, [check it out]) though I don't think we actually made the 4.5-hr mark.

[side note: we had spent one morning on the way to Stanford discussing this topic, another one of the random things they taught us at Mudd (along with the importance of learning your personality type and how you interact with others (MBTI) [don't know yours?] disclaimer: no guarantee that this is a good test). And to be fair, the discussion was actually mostly me babbling trying to stay awake while Amanda dozed in the passenger seat, occasionally making small noncommittal sounds of assent. But she remembered enough to want to try it out.]

And after dropping her off at 6am, I took a nice long run to try to wake up since today was meant to be an early fieldwork day in the Delta with Wayne (he's trying to help the smelt). But we found out we can't actually tow the Golden Bear (the EFM Whaler) with Enterprise rental trucks, so... we're now sitting in the office as people randomly trickle in, waiting to hear back about whether we can use the Blue Beast... still waiting...

In the meantime, I'm playing with the background. Anyone who has read a post over the last few days will notice the random nature of the images... first wooden spoons, then a wave coming in on the beach at Clay Head on BI in the early morning, and now... well, now I think we've found a winner. The current background you see is actually SCAMP profiles of turbulent kinetic energy dissipation rate (ε) at 10cm resolution in a 20m water column over a period of about four hours on 20 October 2010. [To give proper credit, this work was supported by NSF Grant DGE 1106400]. aka, this is my research. 

I have also come to a conclusion: I'm not going to write anything else that's just blabbering to myself and wasting time. I will only write interesting-ish random things about topics you might want to read about. And I will try to avoid being cryptic. Because no one deserves to read boring crap about someone else's life. What a waste of time! That's why there are so many blogs out there.

Along that line, I will never write something boring... oh wait... I think this post qualifies... oh crap I'm drowning in the meta-ness of it!
I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

PS Success! I have officially been added to Margaret's workday blocked websites list. Need it? I understand... Chrome Nanny LeechBlock

No comments:

Post a Comment